Senior Software Engineer, Compliance Team (Remote available)
Edinburgh or remote within the UK
Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Annual salary £50,000 - £75,000 depending on experience, plus competitive benefits package
- want to work in an agile engineering team that deploys 10+ times a day to production?
- want to help develop an award-winning web application?
- work best in a supportive and collaborative environment where your ideas are considered and asking questions is encouraged?
At FreeAgent we help freelancers and micro-businesses be more successful by putting them in control of their company finances. We have built an award-winning online accounting product that offers full end-to-end compliance, from time tracking to tax return filing. We're based in beautiful Edinburgh and we're growing from strength to strength with over 70,000 paying customers and strong YoY growth. Our NPS is off the charts - customers love what we do!
We’re looking for an experienced senior software engineer to join our Compliance team. You’ll work with a collaborative group of engineers, designers and product managers to help our users and their accountants effortlessly handle their accounting, payroll and tax obligations. It’s an exciting time for the Compliance team; we’re in the process of preparing for Making Tax Digital as well as developing our Corporation Tax reporting and filing features, and that’s just for starters!
Our engineers have varied programming backgrounds. On the Compliance team we primarily work with Ruby and Rails, but you don’t need to have these specific language skills – our on-boarding programme will get any experienced engineer up to speed on our stack quickly.
Day-to-day, here’s what you can expect:
- You'll be helping to build and maintain crucial features in our core product that will be used daily by thousands of small businesses across the UK
- You’ll be helping others grow - senior engineers at FreeAgent have the opportunity to mentor others, providing technical leadership and helping to develop their teams
- You’ll be learning from others - you’ll get feedback not just from your colleagues but from customers too, and you’ll use this to help continually improve your skills, your teammates' skills, and our codebase
- You’ll be growing and developing professionally; we invest in company hack days, conferences, training and Safari Books Online. We're always learning from each other through collaborative working and knowledge sharing.
Ideally you’ll have:
- Commercial experience of developing and maintaining web applications
- Enthusiasm for taking complex problems and simplifying them for end users
- Attention to detail; you believe a job worth doing is worth doing right
- Demonstrable pragmatism; a commitment to getting things done while understanding the tradeoffs being made
- A high level of self-motivation and self-awareness
- Mentoring experience
- A commitment to ongoing self-development and improving your technical knowledge and skills
This is a full time permanent position, working from our lovely offices at Edinburgh Quay (convenient for Haymarket train station and airport links), or you can work remotely elsewhere in the UK - in fact, over 40% of our engineering team are fully remote.
We encourage continual self-development and hold bi-annual company hack days. We work smarter, not harder, and try to have fun doing it! We want people to feel nurtured and at ease to be themselves, so they feel empowered and engaged to do their best work. We value our diverse team, and the variety of experiences and backgrounds only make us stronger.
For tales of code crunching in our engineering blog go to https://engineering.freeagent.com and for more about our selection process, benefits package, application process and much more, head over to our careers site: www.freeagent.com/careers
Applying for the role
Our application process is simple; just upload your CV and answer a few questions about why you are interested in this opportunity. Our selection process usually involves a phone interview, a practical exercise and a visit to our beautiful Edinburgh office so you can meet and get to know the team. Don’t worry, we’re a nice bunch and we work hard to make the process as straightforward, transparent and enjoyable as possible. We welcome applications from applicants with varied backgrounds and perspectives.
Don’t forget to tell us about why you think FreeAgent is the right place for you to make a difference.
We look forward to hearing from you!