Communications Design Team Lead
FreeAgent is one of the leading online accounting platforms in the UK with over 70,000 customers and continued fast growth. We’re on a mission to democratise accounting for small businesses across the world! Our app is loved by tens of thousands of people worldwide, and it’s a great opportunity to be a part of something that makes a real difference.
We’re recruiting for a Design Lead to manage a team of extremely smart communications designers, ensuring they're well directed, motivated, productive and engaged in their work.
FreeAgent’s communication designers form part of a wider design team that also includes product and UX designers. We all regularly get together to discuss and feedback on each other’s work and pride ourselves on a creative and supportive environment. It’s fast-paced at times, but it’s always fun!
As a core part of our Communications team, you’ll be:
- providing your team with a clear vision, strategy and direction, motivating and supporting them to deliver their best work
- working closely with senior leadership to define our long-term design strategy and how this aligns with our wider company strategy
- helping to plan, schedule and assign work that contributes towards our long-term design strategy and goals
- championing the value and role of design across the wider organisation
Day-to-day, you can expect to be:
- working to understand project design requirements, and to schedule, plan and assign work accordingly
- closely involved in the creative process - collaborating to generate new ideas for marketing campaigns that will really resonate with our customers and creating innovative solutions to help solve user problems and optimise their journey
- collaborating with other design team leads to refine our design processes, including discovery, design, build and measurement and act as a role model for how these are used
- ensuring that customer needs are the foundation of all the solutions your team builds
- contributing to the creative direction of projects and the evolution of our company brand and design guidelines
You’ll already have a wealth of experience working as a senior designer or team lead and be able to show:
- a portfolio showcasing high-level conceptual thinking and sketches, all the way through to pixel-perfect completed designs.
- a proven track record of producing results-driven design work, particularly involving customer recruitment, user journey optimisation and conversion
- an appreciation of the value of creating a strong, coherent brand and the ability to deliver excellent creative work whilst working within agreed brand guidelines.
- A deep understanding of how to use data and analytics to refine and optimise designs
You need to have:
- experience leading projects and design teams, including people management responsibilities
- stellar organisational skills, planning and organising of work to achieve set goals.
- effective time management, personally and on behalf of others.
- excellent interpersonal/communications skills and effective verbal and written communication skills.
- a thorough understanding of best practices with regards to print design, web standards, usability and accessibility
- experience making good design decisions through analytical data
This is a full time permanent position, working from our lovely offices at Edinburgh Quay (convenient for Haymarket train station and airport links). We encourage continual self-development and hold bi-annual company hack days. We work smarter, not harder, and try to have fun doing it! Follow this link for more on life at FreeAgent.
Perks of the job
We provide a comprehensive package of employee benefits, which have been carefully selected to protect you, to promote healthy lifestyles, and to give you peace of mind. You can read more about these here.