Test Engineer - Mobile Team
- One of the UK's most popular small business finance apps with over 80,000 customers. We help small businesses sort out the mess and the stress of managing their business finances
- Loved and adored by customers. We have an NPS of 70 (which is considered "exceptional")
- Rated ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ on Trustpilot. See what customers say
This is your chance to come and shape the future of small business banking and accounting!
Make a difference 💫
It's an exciting time in the accounting and banking space. We're seeing a revolution in the FinTech industry, and new government initiatives such as Making Tax Digital and Open Banking are opening up new features and products for customers.
The technology in this space is changing rapidly and at FreeAgent we're working on the cutting edge. We're focused on providing the best possible user experience for our growing customer base.
Creating the best place to work 👩🏽💻
We want people to be productive, to have career opportunities, to be focused on meaningful work and to have an excellent work/life balance. We like to think we work smarter, not harder, which is why we stick to a 35-hour working week and still Get Things Done.
We have built a powerful CI/CD platform which can run 32,000 automated tests in less than five minutes which allows us to remain productive at scale, and allows all engineers, regardless of level, to deploy code to production multiple times a day.
We value a diverse team, and we believe the variety of experiences and backgrounds in our team make us stronger. We believe in a learning culture and encourage self-development. We have regular 'wiggle weeks' and we hold our legendary 'Hack Days' twice a year. Engineers write about what they do, and what they learn, on our popular engineering blog.
We have an amazing office in central Edinburgh (one of the great cities of the world), and our work environment is light and bright with inspiring spaces and quiet places. If you're based in the office you'll enjoy catered lunches every Friday, weekly yoga and many other perks and treats. Find out more about life at HQ here!
The Role 👷
Test engineers at FreeAgent help ensure that our products, apps and API are useful and trustworthy, and work with the team to build quality software development into our processes to help us deliver great functionality that thrills our customers.
We are in the process of rebuilding our mobile apps from a hybrid approach to native for iOS and Android and would love to have a test engineer onboard (based in Edinburgh) whose initial focus is to help us achieve that in the best possible way.
Day-to-day, you’ll be making an impact by:
- Sharing your ideas and experiences to help embed good testing practices and approaches into our team.
- Working closely with engineers and stakeholders to understand and interrogate requirements, helping to ensure these are met in the best possible way from the very beginnings of each project.
- Advocating for customers, and help stakeholders reach appropriate decisions on trade-offs.
- Developing thoughtful test approaches that include building automated tooling to help us resolve problems faster, balanced with a considered exploratory testing strategy for our existing products and applications as well as for greenfield features and products.
- Defining mobile testing strategy and influence the test tooling and automation frameworks we use.
We look for:
- Experience building and maintaining test systems for mobile applications, including exposure to tools and frameworks such as Appium, Calabash and/or Selenium WebDriver
- Knowledge of version control systems, ideally git, and at least a basic knowledge of macOS X and Unix commands
- Experience with API and contract testing
- A good understanding of development tools and processes
- Good language skills to prepare and contribute to technical documentation
- Experience with and enthusiasm for understanding and interrogating technical requirements with developers and stakeholders
- Qualifications in or experience with the testing domain, including knowledge of testing terminologies, techniques and good practice
- Insight into user mindsets and a talent for exploring the software in unexpected ways to highlight risk and salient information
- An ability to learn quickly on the job and a desire to upskill in various knowledge domains
- The ability to work from our beautiful Edinburgh office (we’ll help with relocation)
Annual salary £28,000 - £50,000 per annum depending on experience, plus competitive benefits package. We provide a comprehensive package of employee benefits, which have been carefully selected to protect you, to promote healthy lifestyles, and to give you peace of mind. You can read more about these on our website.
Applying for the role ✍
Our application process is simple; just upload your CV and answer a few questions about why you are interested in this opportunity.
Our selection process involves a phone interview, a practical exercise and a visit to our beautiful Edinburgh office so you can meet the team. We work hard to make the process as straightforward, transparent and enjoyable as possible.
We really care about building an inclusive and diverse team, and we welcome applications from people with varied backgrounds and perspectives. We want to make sure that the people who build FreeAgent are reflecting our diverse customer base and bringing with them a range of ideas and experiences. What unites us is an openness to suggestions, and a drive to solve problems in the best way possible.
Don’t forget to tell us about why you think FreeAgent is the right place for you to make a difference!