- A skilled test engineer, with a particular interest in mobile app development?
- Experienced in building and maintaining test systems with an automation focus?
- Keen to work closely with a cross-functional team, always keeping the customer in mind?
FreeAgent is one of the leading online accounting platforms, loved by over 75,000 freelancers, small business owners and their accountants. We’ve got a world-class NPS score and this role is an opportunity to make a real difference to people and their businesses as we work towards making them happier and more successful by putting them in control of their finances.
Test engineers at FreeAgent help ensure that our products, apps and API are useful and trustworthy, and work with the team to build quality software development into our processes to help us deliver great functionality that thrills our customers.
We are in the process of rebuilding our mobile apps from a hybrid approach to native for iOS and Android and would love to have a test engineer onboard whose initial focus is to help us achieve that in the best possible way.
Day-to-day, here’s what you can expect:
We’d love for you to share your ideas and experiences to help embed good testing practices and approaches into our team. We’re looking for someone who can work closely with engineers and stakeholders to understand and interrogate requirements, helping to ensure these are met in the best possible way from the very beginnings of each project. You’ll be an advocate for customers, and help stakeholders reach appropriate decisions on trade-offs.
You’ll also be responsible for developing thoughtful test approaches that include building automated tooling to help us resolve problems faster, balanced with a considered exploratory testing strategy for our existing products and applications as well as for greenfield features and products. You’ll have the opportunity to define that mobile testing strategy and influence the test tooling and automation frameworks we use.
Ideally you’ll have:
- Experience building and maintaining test systems for mobile applications, including exposure to tools and frameworks such as Appium, Calabash and/or Selenium WebDriver
- Knowledge of version control systems, ideally git, and at least a basic knowledge of macOS X and Unix commands
- Experience with API and contract testing
- A good understanding of development tools and processes
- Good language skills to prepare and contribute to technical documentation
- Experience with and enthusiasm for understanding and interrogating technical requirements with developers and stakeholders
- Qualifications in or experience with the testing domain, including knowledge of testing terminologies, techniques and good practice
- Insight into user mindsets and a talent for exploring the software in unexpected ways to highlight risk and salient information
- An ability to learn quickly on the job and a desire to upskill in various knowledge domains
- The ability to work from our beautiful Edinburgh office (we’ll help with relocation)
You’ll also be:
- A good communicator who is able to clearly articulate their ideas and concerns to both technical and non-technical people alike
- Proactive in identifying risks early and in making recommendations for improvements in processes where appropriate
- Confident in setting up a test strategy incorporating decisions on test environments and approaches
- Able to articulate clearly in verbal or written reports your testing decisions and whether deliverables have met requirements or not
- Collaborative in working with product managers, designers and engineers in ensuring that all specifications have clear acceptance criteria for different business scenarios
- Flexible and willing to work with different teams and on different projects depending on business needs
This is a full time permanent position, working from our lovely offices at Edinburgh Quay (convenient for Haymarket train station and airport links).
We encourage continual self-development and hold bi-annual company hack days. We work smarter, not harder, and try to have fun doing it!
Follow these links for more on life at FreeAgent, or tales of code crunching in our engineering blog.
Perks of the job
We provide a comprehensive package of employee benefits, which have been carefully selected to protect you, to promote healthy lifestyles, and to give you peace of mind. You can read more about these here.
Applying for the role
Our application process is simple; just upload your CV and answer a few questions about why you are interested in this opportunity. Our selection process usually involves a phone interview, a practical exercise and a visit to our beautiful Edinburgh office so you can meet and get to know the team. Don’t worry, we’re a nice bunch and we work hard to make the process as straightforward, transparent and enjoyable as possible.
Building a diverse and happy team is at the core of our people strategy here at FreeAgent. We want all of our employees to feel safe, nurtured and at ease to be themselves. We cultivate inclusive behaviours across all levels of the organisation and have embedded fair practices and procedures throughout the entire employee lifecycle. We welcome applications from applicants with varied backgrounds and perspectives.
Don’t forget to tell us about why you think FreeAgent is the right place for you to make a difference. We look forward to hearing from you!