Senior Software Engineer - Product Teams
FreeAgent is one of the leading online accounting platforms, loved by over 60,000 freelancers, small business owners and their accountants. We’re on a mission to make businesses happier and more successful by putting them in control of their finances, so this role is a great opportunity to be a part of something that makes a real difference!
We’re looking for experienced software engineers to join developers, designers and domain experts in our product teams. Our Workflow team are responsible for the majority of the user-facing sections of the app that are used day-to-day, and are currently adding in new features to make it quicker and easier for our customers to classify their transactions. Our Practices team are supporting our Accountancy Practice users by working on new components such as advanced client reporting, and our Banks teams are upgrading the platform that supports our banking integrations so that we can provide an even better experience to a growing numbers of customers - our NPS score (currently 70) is consistently higher than average for our field.
Senior engineers at FreeAgent have the opportunity to mentor others, providing technical leadership and helping to grow their teams. As a member of the wider FreeAgent engineering team you will have the opportunity to work alongside developers of different levels of seniority on the design of efficient and elegant solutions to solve difficult problems. You’ll have the chance to work on cross-functional projects and develop your skills through collaboration. We like to work with people who show initiative and continually seek to improve themselves, their teammates, and our codebase. We encourage innovation and professional development through activities like company hack-days and our weekly engineering discussion forum.
We’d like you to have:
- a strong knowledge and experience of developing and maintaining web applications
- experience with scaling web applications
- the ability to work collaboratively with others and communicate your ideas clearly and constructively, with both technical and non-technical people
- experience with mentoring others
- enthusiasm for taking complex problems and simplifying them for end users
- attention to detail; you believe a job worth doing is worth doing right
- demonstrable pragmatism; a commitment to getting things done while understanding the tradeoffs being made
- a high level of self-motivation and willingness to go the extra mile
- sufficient self awareness to identify personal strengths and areas for development
- good organisational skills, and effective time management
- strong interpersonal and communications skills, both verbal and written
- a commitment to ongoing self-development and improving your technical knowledge and skills
- respect for the opinions of others
This is a full time permanent position, working from our stunning offices at Edinburgh Quay (convenient for Haymarket train station and airport links), or you can work remotely elsewhere in the UK - in fact, 20% of our engineering team are fully remote. We encourage continual self-development and hold bi-annual company hack days. We work smarter, not harder, and try to have fun doing it!
We believe in a healthy work-life balance and we’re a sociable bunch so there’s always something happening outside of work too. In the office you’ll be provided with the best kit including top-of-the-line Apple computers and comfy Aeron chairs. We sit down together for catered lunches every Friday, and a selection of beers, wine, soft drinks, cake and healthy snacks are available pretty much all the time. For more of an idea of what it's like to work at FreeAgent, click here.
Perks of the job
- 33 days annual leave, including public holidays, increasing year on year to 43 max
- Family-friendly policies
- Childcare vouchers
- Professional development and training
- Contributory Pension
- Private Health Insurance
- Group Life Assurance
- Income Protection
- Cycle to Work scheme
Applying for the role
Our application process is simple; just upload your CV and write a short cover note explaining why you are interested in this opportunity. Our selection process involves a phone screen, a coding test and a visit to our beautiful Edinburgh office so you can meet and get to know the team. Don’t worry, we’re a nice bunch and we work hard to make the process as straightforward, transparent and enjoyable as possible.
Building a diverse and happy team is at the core of our people strategy here at FreeAgent. We want all of our employees to feel safe, nurtured and at ease to be themselves. We cultivate inclusive behaviours across all levels of the organisation and have embedded fair practices and procedures throughout the entire employee lifecycle. We welcome applications from applicants with varied backgrounds and perspectives.
Don’t forget to tell us about why you think FreeAgent is the right place for you to make a difference. We look forward to hearing from you!