Senior Software Engineer - Mobile (Android)
Edinburgh or remote within the UK
Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Annual salary £50,000 - £75,000 depending on experience, plus competitive benefits package
- an experienced senior software engineer, with a particular interest in mobile app development?
- passionate about building great UI and UX?
- keen to share your knowledge and experience by mentoring other team members?
FreeAgent is one of the leading online accounting platforms, loved by over 70,000 freelancers, small business owners and their accountants. We’ve got a world-class NPS score and this role is an opportunity to make a real difference to people and their businesses as we work towards making them happier and more successful by putting them in control of their finances.
We’re looking for an experienced senior software engineer to join our Mobile Engineering team. You’ll work with a collaborative group of engineers and designers, helping to build our Android app natively from ground up. You'll have opportunities to build new exciting features as well as improve the design and refine how existing features work.
Day-to-day, here’s what you can expect:
- You’ll be helping others grow - senior engineers at FreeAgent have the opportunity to mentor others, providing technical leadership and helping to grow their teams
- You’ll be striving for results - engineers at FreeAgent have the opportunity to work alongside developers of different levels of seniority on the design of efficient and elegant solutions to solve difficult problems
- You’ll be learning from others - you’ll get feedback not just from your colleagues, but from customers too, and you’ll use this to help continually improve yourself, your teammates, and our codebase
- You’ll be growing every day - we encourage initiative, innovation and professional development through activities like company hack days and our weekly engineering discussion forum
Ideally you’ll have:
- Commercial Android development experience with at least one app in the App Store
- Experience working with REST APIs
- Knowledge of best practices and techniques in Android app development.
- Willingness to mentor and work with a distributed team of engineers.
- Experience with CI and testing mobile apps (unit tests, automated tests)
- Passion for building great UI and UX
- Open source contributions
This is a full time permanent position, working from our lovely offices at Edinburgh Quay (convenient for Haymarket train station and airport links), or you can work remotely elsewhere in the UK - in fact, over 40% of our engineering team are fully remote.
We encourage continual self-development and hold bi-annual company hack days. We work smarter, not harder, and try to have fun doing it!
Follow these links for more on life at FreeAgent, or tales of code crunching in our engineering blog.
Perks of the job
We provide a comprehensive package of employee benefits, which have been carefully selected to protect you, to promote healthy lifestyles, and to give you peace of mind. You can read more about these here.
Applying for the role
Our application process is simple; just upload your CV and answer a few questions about why you are interested in this opportunity. Our selection process usually involves a phone interview, a practical exercise and a visit to our beautiful Edinburgh office so you can meet and get to know the team. Don’t worry, we’re a nice bunch and we work hard to make the process as straightforward, transparent and enjoyable as possible.
Building a diverse and happy team is at the core of our people strategy here at FreeAgent. We want all of our employees to feel safe, nurtured and at ease to be themselves. We cultivate inclusive behaviours across all levels of the organisation and have embedded fair practices and procedures throughout the entire employee lifecycle. We welcome applications from applicants with varied backgrounds and perspectives.
Don’t forget to tell us about why you think FreeAgent is the right place for you to make a difference.
We look forward to hearing from you!