Senior Operations Engineer
We're looking for a talented Operations Engineer to come and work on the FreeAgent app, internal services and supporting infrastructure. You'll be working as part of our Infrastructure team, squashing single points of failure, fixing bottlenecks, profiling load and solving interesting scaling and automation problems.
FreeAgent is one of the leading online accounting platforms in the UK with over 50,000 customers and continued fast growth. We’re on a mission to make businesses happier and more successful by putting them in control of their finances. Our app is already loved by thousands of freelancers, small business owners and accountants, and this role is a great opportunity to be a part of something that makes a real difference!
Our Infrastructure team is responsible for the application in production at all levels in our stack. Being this flexible means we've achieved near 100% uptime over the past year (99.98%) whilst performing daily code deployments, countless database migrations and, every quarter, a complete DR flip between our physical data-centres. We're happy with this, and we're looking for people who can help us keep going!
- Support the smooth running and uptime of our external and internal production systems
- Support the path-to-production for our frequent changes to application code and data
- Maintaining our disaster-recovery and data backup processes
- Conduct peer reviews of infrastructure and configuration changes
- Be actively involved in the continuous evolution of our systems and infrastructure, from small tweaks to epic changes
- Work alongside the wider engineering team planning and developing new features
- Participate in our 24/7 emergency on-call rota
- Ensure no single points of failure are introduced so out-of-hours calls stay rare
What we're looking for
- Management of virtualised Unix / Linux servers. We've been using containers in production for years on our own hardware, running SmartOS.
- Configuration management technologies - we don't configure servers by hand, instead we use puppet
- Production problem solving and performance optimisation - things break or slow down and it's good to find out why. We accept that nothing can be perfect and value the time spent digging deep to really try and understand issues
- Hands on low-level networking - we run our own servers and network gear in multiple data centres and use dynamic routing protocols to ship traffic between logically isolated networks of virtual machines
- Good understanding of common network protocols - and someone who can find their way around an RFC
- Good communicator - we're all constantly learning and like to encourage the sharing of knowledge across our engineering team
- Security conscious - you understand the importance of security best practices, know your BEAST from your HEARTBLEED and know how to establish a robust set of defences
It would be pretty nice to have some hands-on experience of our current tech stack:
- Nearly all of our code is written in Ruby and all of our code is checked into git
- Ideally some production experience managing relational databases. We run MySQL and have databases with multi-million rows, perform routine online schema changes and periodic DR tests and rely on master-master replication to keep our site online throughout
- We use RabbitMQ behind the scenes, having used this before would be a definite plus
- We run ElasticSearch for in-app user-searching and also to store many terabytes of log data
This is a full time permanent position, working from our smart office in the West End of Edinburgh (convenient for Haymarket station and airport links), or you can work remotely elsewhere in the UK - in fact, our entire Infrastructure team and 20% of our engineering team are fully remote.
We encourage continual self-development and have access to a generous training budget. We hold bi-annual company hack days. We work smarter, not harder, and try to have fun doing it!
We believe in a healthy work-life balance and we’re a sociable bunch so there’s always something happening outside of work too. In the office you’ll be provided with the best kit including top-of-the-line Apple computers. We sit down together for catered lunches every Friday, and a selection of beers, wine, soft drinks, cake and healthy snacks pretty much all the time.
Perks of the job
- 33 days annual leave, including public holidays, increasing year on year
- Family friendly policies
- Childcare vouchers
- Professional development and training
- Contributory Pension
- Private Health Insurance
- Group Life Assurance
- Income Protection
- Cycle to Work scheme
Edinburgh has a vibrant tech scene, the world’s largest arts festival, and it has even been voted the best place in the UK to live for the past two years. What’s not to like?
Applying for the role
Our selection process involves a phone-screen, a test and a visit to our beautiful Edinburgh office so you can meet and get to know the team. Don’t worry, we’re a nice bunch and we work hard to make the process as straight-forward, transparent and enjoyable as possible.
At FreeAgent, we recognise the power of a diverse team, and we encourage applications from individuals with varied experience, perspectives and backgrounds.
Don’t forget to tell us about why you think FreeAgent is the right place for you to make a difference. We look forward to hearing from you!