Senior Software Engineer, Core Services (Remote available)
Edinburgh or remote within the UK
Permanent role: Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Annual salary £50,000 - £75,000 depending on experience, plus competitive benefits package
FreeAgent is one of the leading online accounting platforms. Our product has a world-class NPS and is loved by over 70,000 freelancers, small business owners and their accountants. Our mission is to make businesses happier and more successful by putting them in control of their finances, and this role is an opportunity to come and help us make a real difference to people.
The Core Services team is focused on the evolution of the FreeAgent codebase, implementing key architectural concepts, improving domain modelling and anticipating scalability issues. Some of the projects we’ve delivered recently include:
- Revamping the way we model accounting ledgers, improving data integrity and making it simpler for engineers to build accounting-related features
- Building and launching our new Insights feature
- Adding security features, such as login notifications and session tracking
Your typical week will involve:
- Working closely with other Engineering teams, helping to establish consistent approaches and collaborating on software design
- Helping to coordinate the implementation of some of our most complex technical solutions, and identify and plan ways to continue improving the quality and maintainability of our codebase to address risks and improve ease of development
- You’ll be helping others grow - senior engineers at FreeAgent have the opportunity to mentor others, providing technical leadership and helping to develop their teams
- You’ll be learning from others - as well as 1:1s you’ll get feedback not just from your colleagues but from customers too, and you’ll use this to help continually improve your skills, your teammates' skills, and our codebase
- You’ll be growing and developing professionally; we invest in company hack days, conferences, training and Safari Books Online. We're always learning from each other through collaborative working and knowledge sharing
Ideally you’ll have:
- Demonstrable pragmatism; a commitment to getting things done while understanding the tradeoffs being made
- Wide breadth of experience in software engineering, across multiple technologies and architectures
- A strong track record of architecting and implementing non-trivial software applications used at scale, ideally in a SaaS environment
- Successfully undertaken and delivered on major software refactorings
- Awareness of software development technology trends and best practices
- Strong CS fundamentals
This is a full time permanent position, working from our lovely offices at Edinburgh Quay (convenient for Haymarket train station and airport links), or you can work remotely elsewhere in the UK - in fact, over 40% of our engineering team are fully remote.
We encourage continual self-development and hold bi-annual company hack days. We work smarter, not harder, and try to have fun doing it! We want people to feel nurtured and at ease to be themselves, so they feel empowered and engaged to do their best work. We value our diverse team, and the variety of experiences and backgrounds only make us stronger.
For tales of code crunching in our engineering blog go to https://engineering.freeagent.com and for more about our selection process, benefits package, application process and much more, head over to our careers site: www.freeagent.com/careers
Applying for the role
Our application process is simple; just upload your CV and answer a few questions about why you are interested in this opportunity. Our selection process usually involves a phone interview, a practical exercise and a visit to our beautiful Edinburgh office so you can meet and get to know the team. Don’t worry, we’re a nice bunch and we work hard to make the process as straightforward, transparent and enjoyable as possible. We welcome applications from applicants with varied backgrounds and perspectives.
Don’t forget to tell us about why you think FreeAgent is the right place for you to make a difference.
We look forward to hearing from you!