Senior Software Engineer, Website Team (Remote available)
Edinburgh or remote within the UK
Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Annual salary £50,000 - £75,000 depending on experience, plus competitive benefits package
- an experienced senior software engineer, with a keen interest in web apps?
- able to derive and discuss technical solutions with less tech-savvy colleagues?
- known for your meticulous attention to detail?
FreeAgent is one of the leading online accounting platforms, loved by over 70,000 freelancers, small business owners and their accountants. We’ve got a world-class NPS score and this role is an opportunity to make a real difference to people and their businesses as we work towards making them happier and more successful by putting them in control of their finances.
We’re looking for an experienced senior software engineer to join our Website team. Our website serves as a valuable asset for all departments in the business, so this is a great role for someone who enjoys interaction and collaboration with other departments. You’ll work with a collaborative group of engineers, designers and product managers, helping to shape our website so that it provides a great experience for all visitors, including both our existing and potential customers, suppliers, affiliates and partners.
We’re in the process of reviewing our technology strategy for the website, in order to make sure that it’s aligned and capable of delivering on our current and future business objectives. At the moment, our website is statically generated; this has given us a lot of benefits with respect to simplicity, security and speed, but it's also starting to impose limitations on what we can achieve. We're looking towards the future and what the next evolution of the website could look like. It's an exciting time to get involved and as a senior website engineer you'll be able to bring valuable experience and input into this process.
Your typical week will involve:
- You’ll be working across the entire business - our Website is a shared concern; it fulfils a purpose for every department at FreeAgent and, as such, you will be interacting with huge variety of people on a daily basis
- You’ll be helping others grow - senior engineers at FreeAgent have the opportunity to mentor others, providing technical leadership and helping to develop their teams
- You’ll be learning from others - you’ll get feedback not just from your colleagues but from customers too, and you’ll use this to help continually improve your skills, your teammates' skills, and our codebase
- You’ll be growing and developing professionally; as well as weekly 1:1s, we invest in company hack days, conferences, training and Safari Books Online. We're always learning from each other through collaborative working and knowledge sharing.
Ideally you’ll have:
- Commercial experience of developing and maintaining web applications
- Enthusiasm for taking complex problems and simplifying them for end users
- Attention to detail; you believe a job worth doing is worth doing right
- Demonstrable pragmatism; a commitment to getting things done while understanding the tradeoffs being made
- A high level of self-motivation and self-awareness
- Mentoring experience
- A commitment to ongoing self-development and improving your technical knowledge and skills
This is a full time permanent position, working from our lovely offices at Edinburgh Quay (convenient for Haymarket train station and airport links), or you can work remotely elsewhere in the UK - in fact, over 40% of our engineering team are fully remote.
We encourage continual self-development and hold bi-annual company hack days. We work smarter, not harder, and try to have fun doing it! We want people to feel nurtured and at ease to be themselves, so they feel empowered and engaged to do their best work. We value our diverse team, and the variety of experiences and backgrounds only make us stronger.
For tales of code crunching in our engineering blog go to https://engineering.freeagent.com and for more about our selection process, benefits package, application process and much more, head over to our careers site: www.freeagent.com/careers
Applying for the role
Our application process is simple; just upload your CV and answer a few questions about why you are interested in this opportunity. Our selection process usually involves a phone interview, a practical exercise and a visit to our beautiful Edinburgh office so you can meet and get to know the team. Don’t worry, we’re a nice bunch and we work hard to make the process as straightforward, transparent and enjoyable as possible. We welcome applications from applicants with varied backgrounds and perspectives.
Don’t forget to tell us about why you think FreeAgent is the right place for you to make a difference.
We look forward to hearing from you!