Digital Communications Designer
- as much at home designing and developing websites as you are working on print and digital ads?
- enthusiastic about working in a dynamic and collaborative environment to produce high-quality results?
- excited by the idea of turning ideas and insights into highly effective advertising concepts?
- someone with a strong point of view on design, who isn’t afraid to independently push ahead with an idea from concept to launch?
You sound right up our street!
FreeAgent is one of the leading online accounting platforms in the UK with over 70,000 customers and continued fast growth. We’re on a mission to democratise accounting for small businesses across the world! Our app is loved by tens of thousands of people worldwide, and it’s a great opportunity to be a part of something that makes a real difference.
We’re looking for a highly skilled creative design professional to join the comms design team, who has loads of demonstrable experience taking customer insight and working this up into dynamic, highly effective advertising concepts. You love being bold and creative with your ideas and designs but also get a buzz from knowing your work really delivers results for the business.
FreeAgent’s communication designers form part of a wider design team that also includes product and UX designers. We all regularly get together to discuss and feedback on each other’s work and pride ourselves on a creative and supportive environment. It’s fast-paced at times, but it’s always fun!
Day-to-day, here’s what you can expect:
- You’ll be in the driving seat! We’re looking for you to drive the creative direction of our marketing and communications design and to contribute towards the strategic direction of our website.
- You’ll be working across multiple projects and stakeholders - you might be designing and developing our website, landing pages and emails, hand-crafting and animating our illustrations, creating print or display advertising, or working on exhibition stands or other marketing collateral. Phew.
- You’ll be closely involved in the creative process - collaborating to generate new ideas for marketing campaigns that will really resonate with our customers and creating innovative solutions to help solve user problems and optimise their journey
- You’ll always be looking to drive the FreeAgent product forward - digging into behavioural data to understand how users are using our website and working collaboratively with other designers and colleagues across the business to deliver towards our company objectives
You will already have working experience as a designer and show:
- a portfolio showcasing high-level conceptual thinking and sketches, all the way through to pixel-perfect completed designs.
- a proven track record of producing results-driven design work, particularly involving customer recruitment, user journey optimisation and conversion
- experience of building websites with examples of recent work
- an ability to translate your work across online and offline media
- willingness to take full ownership of projects, seeing them through from initial concept to completion
- evidence of working well under your own initiative, as part of team, and (sometimes) to tight deadlines
- a passion for creating great user journeys, with experience of usability testing
- an ability to articulate and give rationale for design decisions, to stakeholders from all areas of the business
You need to know:
- Adobe Creative Suite
- the basics of web standards and accessibility
- how to get round GitHub
- how to make good design decisions through analytical data
- CMS and templates
This is a full time permanent position, working from our lovely offices at Edinburgh Quay (convenient for Haymarket train station and airport links).
We encourage continual self-development and hold bi-annual company hack days. We work smarter, not harder, and try to have fun doing it! We want people to feel nurtured and at ease to be themselves, so they feel empowered and engaged to do their best work. We value our diverse team, and the variety of experiences and backgrounds only make us stronger.
For more about our selection process, benefits package, application process and much more, head over to our careers site: www.freeagent.com/careers
Applying for the role
Our application process is simple; just upload your CV and answer a few questions about why you are interested in this opportunity. Our selection process usually involves a phone interview, a practical exercise and a visit to our beautiful Edinburgh office so you can meet and get to know the team. Don’t worry, we’re a nice bunch and we work hard to make the process as straightforward, transparent and enjoyable as possible. We welcome applications from applicants with varied backgrounds and perspectives.
Don’t forget to tell us about why you think FreeAgent is the right place for you to make a difference.
We look forward to hearing from you!