Senior Operations Engineer (Edinburgh or remote)
- One of the UK's most popular small business finance apps with over 80,000 customers. We help small businesses sort out the mess and the stress of managing their business finances
- Loved and adored by customers. We have an NPS of 70 (which is considered "exceptional")
- Rated ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ on Trustpilot. See what customers say
This is your chance to come and shape the future of small business banking and accounting!
Make a difference 💫
It's an exciting time in the accounting and banking space. We're seeing a revolution in the FinTech industry, and new government initiatives such as Making Tax Digital and Open Banking are opening up new features and products for customers.
The technology in this space is changing rapidly and at FreeAgent we're working on the cutting edge. We're focused on providing the best possible user experience for our growing customer base.
Creating the best place to work 👩🏽💻
We want people to be productive, to have career opportunities, to be focused on meaningful work and to have an excellent work/life balance. We like to think we work smarter, not harder, which is why we stick to a 35-hour working week and still Get Things Done.
We have built a powerful CI/CD platform which can run 32,000 automated tests in less than five minutes which allows us to remain productive at scale, and allows all engineers, regardless of level, to deploy code to production multiple times a day.
We value a diverse team, and we believe the variety of experiences and backgrounds in our team make us stronger. We believe in a learning culture and encourage self-development. We have regular 'wiggle weeks' and we hold our legendary 'Hack Days' twice a year. Engineers write about what they do, and what they learn, on our popular engineering blog.
We have an amazing office in central Edinburgh (one of the great cities of the world), but only half of our engineering team work here – the other half work fully remotely, distributed around the UK. We currently only offer remote working to senior engineers.
The Role 👷
Our Operations team are responsible for building and maintaining the infrastructure that supports FreeAgent and our other production services. We have built an incredibly reliable and resilient platform that underpins our app. Our uptime over the past five years has averaged over 99.99% which is a testament to our team and the quality of the platform they have built.
We're in the process of migrating from our co-located data centres to AWS and we're looking for someone to help us:
- Support the smooth running and uptime of our external and internal production systems
- Work alongside our engineering teams, helping them to plan and develop new features, ensuring no single points of failure are introduced so out-of-hours calls stay rare
- Help plan, estimate and deliver Ops projects. We have an emphasis on writing culture and proactively document what we've created to expand our collective knowledge
- Conduct peer reviews of infrastructure and configuration changes
- Maintain our disaster-recovery and data backup processes
- Participate in our 24/7 emergency on-call rota
- Share what you've learned by talking at our weekly Engineering Forum
- Continually expand your knowledge of both our business and technology domain. We have the resources and we give you the time to learn!
- Develop and apply your mentoring and leadership skills
Apps we use: GitHub, Trello, G Suite, Notion, Miro, Humio
We look for:
- Configuration management experience. We don't configure servers by hand, instead we use Puppet and Terraform
- Production problem solving and performance optimisation – things break or slow down and it's good to find out why. We accept that nothing can be perfect and value the time spent digging deep to really try and understand issues
- Experience building and supporting production services using AWS
- Production experience managing relational databases. We run MySQL and have databases with hundreds of millions of rows, perform routine online schema changes and periodic DR tests and rely on master-master replication to keep our site online throughout
- Knowledge of network concepts, architectures and debugging - we run our own servers and networking in multiple locations and use dynamic routing protocols to ship traffic between logically isolated networks of virtual machines
- Understanding of common network protocols - and someone who can find their way around an RFC
- Communications skills - we're all constantly learning and like to encourage the sharing of knowledge across our engineering team
- Security awareness - you understand the importance of security best practices and know how to establish a robust set of defences
We provide a comprehensive package of employee benefits, which have been carefully selected to protect you, to promote healthy lifestyles, and to give you peace of mind. You can read more about these on our website.
Applying for the role ✍
Our application process is simple; just upload your CV and answer a few questions about why you are interested in this opportunity.
Our selection process involves a phone interview, a practical exercise and a visit to our beautiful Edinburgh office so you can meet the team. We work hard to make the process as straightforward, transparent and enjoyable as possible.
We really value applications from people with varied backgrounds and perspectives.
Don’t forget to tell us about why you think FreeAgent is the right place for you to make a difference!
Annual salary £52,000 - £80,000 (plus 15/20% outer/inner-London weighting) depending on experience, plus competitive benefits package