Senior Operations Engineer (Remote available)
Edinburgh or remote within the UK
Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm (max one week in four on call)
Annual salary £50,000 - £75,000 depending on experience, plus competitive benefits package
At FreeAgent we help freelancers and micro-businesses be more successful by putting them in control of their company finances. We have built an award-winning online accounting product that offers full end-to-end compliance, from time tracking to tax return filing. We're based in beautiful Edinburgh and we're growing from strength to strength with over 70,000 paying customers and strong YoY growth. Our NPS is off the charts - customers love what we do!
Our Operations team consists of six talented engineers who are responsible for building and maintaining the infrastructure that supports FreeAgent and our many other production services. We have built an incredibly reliable and resilient platform that underpins our app. Our uptime over the past five years has averaged over 99.99% which is a testament to our team and the quality of the platform they have built.
We are looking for an empathetic senior operations/software engineer to come and join us as we look to scale the number of customers we are supporting in production to 100,000 and beyond.
- Support the smooth running and uptime of our external and internal production systems
- Support the path to production for our frequent changes to application code and data
- Maintaining our disaster-recovery and data backup processes
- Conduct peer reviews of infrastructure and configuration changes
- Be actively involved in the continuous evolution of our systems and infrastructure, from small tweaks to epic changes
- Work alongside the wider engineering team, planning and developing new features
- Participate in our 24/7 emergency on-call rota
- Ensure no single points of failure are introduced so out-of-hours calls stay rare
Skills we're looking for
- Configuration management technologies - we don't configure servers by hand, instead we use Puppet and Terraform
- Production problem solving and performance optimisation - things break or slow down and it's good to find out why. We accept that nothing can be perfect and value the time spent digging deep to really try and understand issues
- Experience setting up and supporting production services using public cloud (AWS).
- Production experience managing relational databases. We run MySQL and have databases with hundreds of millions of rows, perform routine online schema changes and periodic DR tests and rely on master-master replication to keep our site online throughout
- Knowledge of network concepts, architectures and debugging - we run our own servers and networking in multiple locations and use dynamic routing protocols to ship traffic between logically isolated networks of virtual machines
- Understanding of common network protocols - and someone who can find their way around an RFC
- Communications skills - we're all constantly learning and like to encourage the sharing of knowledge across our engineering team
- Security awareness - you understand the importance of security best practices and know how to establish a robust set of defences
About our stack
- FreeAgent is a majestic monolith and our intentionally-simple stack currently consists of Ruby on Rails, MySQL, RabbitMQ, Elasticsearch. You can see the full list on StackShare.
- We run our own private cloud infrastructure out of two co-located data centres in the UK. Our infrastructure is virtualised using Triton on SmartOS and configuration managed with Puppet.
- We use S3, Lambda, Redshift and Kinesis on AWS and we expect to add an increasing number of services to AWS over time.
This is a full time permanent position, working from our smart office Edinburgh Quay, convenient for Haymarket station and airport links. Or you can work remotely elsewhere in the UK - in fact, 80% of our Infrastructure team and 40% of our engineering team overall are fully remote.
We encourage continual self-development and support your ongoing training. We hold bi-annual company hack days. We work smarter, not harder, and try to have fun doing it! We want people to feel nurtured and at ease to be themselves, so they feel empowered and engaged to do their best work. We value our diverse team, and the variety of experiences and backgrounds only make us stronger.
For tales of code crunching in our engineering blog go to https://engineering.freeagent.com and for more about our selection process, benefits package, application process and much more, head over to our careers site: www.freeagent.com/careers
Applying for the role
Our application process is simple; just upload your CV and answer a few questions about why you are interested in this opportunity. Our selection process usually involves a phone interview, a practical exercise and a visit to our beautiful Edinburgh office so you can meet and get to know the team. Don’t worry, we’re a nice bunch and we work hard to make the process as straightforward, transparent and enjoyable as possible. We welcome applications from applicants with varied backgrounds and perspectives.
Don’t forget to tell us about why you think FreeAgent is the right place for you to make a difference.
We look forward to hearing from you!