- A strong visual/graphic designer?
- Experienced in designing user interfaces for complex applications?
- Customer and User focussed and hold their needs at the heart of your approach to solving design problems?
- Highly collaborative and comfortable working with other Product Designers and Engineers to deliver product features?
Well, hello there!
FreeAgent is one of the leading online accounting platforms in the UK with over 70,000 customers and continued fast growth. We’ve got a world-class NPS score and this role is an opportunity to make a real difference to people and their businesses as we work towards making them happier and more successful by putting them in control of their finances.
We’re looking for a highly skilled designer to join the product design team on our mission to make businesses happier and more successful by putting them in control of their finances.
FreeAgent’s product designers form part of a wider design team that also includes communications designers and UX researchers. As a designer at FreeAgent you’ll be expected to champion your work and be prepared to explain and promote your ideas. Front and centre to our work, we strive tirelessly to create the very best experience for our customers. We'll encourage you to be brave, take risks and fail without fear, because we believe in the value of the journey and in learning by making. It’s fast-paced at times, but it’s always fun!
What you'll do
As a member of our product design team, you'll be working on the core FreeAgent application, designing new features or improving old ones and collaborating with the development team and our users to make FreeAgent better than ever.
The work is fast-paced, challenging and varied and on any given day you might be:
- Using pencil and paper to draft rapid lo-fi prototypes for new features or product improvements
- Refining prototypes in your graphic editor of choice (we like Sketch) and presenting your ideas to the team
- Coding up functioning prototypes to test workflows with our users
- Working alongside the engineers to implement features in our Ruby on Rails codebase
- Pushing your own app updates using Git
- Digging in and analysing behavioural data to understand how users are using features
You'll need to be comfortable having your work critiqued, and collaborating closely with fellow designers and engineers. You should champion your work and be ready to fight your corner, but with an awareness of what's best for the people who use it. We'll encourage you to be brave, take risks and fail without fear, because we believe in the value of the journey and in learning by making.
What we're looking for
Ideally you’ll have previous experience of working in an agency, as successful freelancer or as an in-house designer, and can demonstrate:
- Experience of designing user interfaces for complex applications, translating user requirements into elegant, usable solutions.
- Knowledge of best practice and techniques in mobile app design
- Knowledge of best practices with regards to web standards, usability and accessibility.
- Strong visual and graphic design sense.
- Willingness to work with engineers to implement new features within our website and application frameworks
- Knowledge of fundamental UX techniques including user testing, wireframing, prototyping, interaction flows, information architecture and more.
- Experience of, or at least a willingness to learn, our technology stack, including Ruby on Rails and Git
This is a full time permanent position, working from our lovely offices at Edinburgh Quay (convenient for Haymarket train station and airport links).We encourage continual self-development and hold bi-annual company hack days. We work smarter, not harder, and try to have fun doing it! We want people to feel nurtured and at ease to be themselves, so they feel empowered and engaged to do their best work. We value our diverse team, and the variety of experiences and backgrounds only make us stronger.For more about our selection process, benefits package, application process and much more, head over to our careers site: www.freeagent.com/careers
Applying for the role
Our application process is simple; just upload your CV and portfolio and answer a few questions about why you are interested in this opportunity. Our selection process usually involves a phone interview, a practical exercise and a visit to our beautiful Edinburgh office so you can meet and get to know the team. Don’t worry, we’re a nice bunch and we work hard to make the process as straightforward, transparent and enjoyable as possible. We welcome applications from applicants with varied backgrounds and perspectives.
Don’t forget to tell us about why you think FreeAgent is the right place for you to make a difference.We look forward to hearing from you!